1. Open your System Preferences and click on "Sound"
2. Click the "Input" tab
3. The input tab will show a list of every mic your computer has detected. This will include the built-in mic as well as any headphone mics or USB mics that are currently connected. If you don't see the name of your preferred mic in the list, you can try unplugging it and plugging it back in.
4. Click on the mic that you want to use
5. Start speaking into your mic and see if any of the bars next to "Input level" start to change
6. If you are not seeing the levels change when you speak into your mic, check to see if the mic has a physical volume control or power button that you need to press.
If these steps are not working, please contact us for more help firstname.lastname@example.org